Pittenweem Arts Festival Day 1


I said goodbye to this wee bronze dish, patinated with sea water today. It’s off to a new home in Bothwell.bronzebowlsswi_enos

It’s going with my latest bronze bowl, which was cast in beachsand and finished at my Scottish Sculpture workshop residency.


Several people bought pewter shells for Nepal Disasters Committee https://www.paypal-donations.co.uk/pp-charity/charity.jsp?NP_ID=76070


Thank-you. I have a few of these left.


One of these wee mixed metal bowls is away too.

Lots of people popped into my garage venue – you should see it it’s like an art gallery all white and tidy – it’s worth a visit just to see how garages could be. It was great to talk to summer visitors, artists, engineers, blacksmiths, ceramicists, young people, even a few well behaved dogs. I’ll be there again today – maybe see you.


Small Damascus bowl

The wee steel bowl in the last post has many incarnations. It has been 3D printed to use as a model for casting in green-sand (in bronze). It was sized up so the Damascus bowl can sit in it.


This is the mesh that was produced.


This is it scaled down and used for a silver and copper mixed metal cast. It sits in the wee bowl.


I have taken wax models of the outside and cast them in bronze using the beach-sand, and I have more wax models for future casts.

waxbowl1 copy_enos

There is also a direct cast with tripod legs that I am patinating with seawater, so it is gradually getting greener.


Bronze cast bowls

Last week I cleaned up two bronze bowls that I cast.

One was cast in beach sand and green-sand. The form was made as a 3D print of the Damascus steel wee bowl. I put three sapphires into it which form little ‘windows’ in it. Sapphires are found in Scotland (the Western Isles rather than Fife) and can withstand the high temperatures of molten metal.


The edges reflect the rough edge of the print and the underside has interesting textures, because the green-sand was too wet and made steam through the metalsapphirecast_enos

The second piece- pictured as it came out of casting; was from a beeswax mould and cast in beach-sand. I has quite a rough texture, probably because the sand adhered to the wax. It has a couple of sapphires and some flakes of iron in it.


ImageWe started term cuttlefish casting – these have still to be cleaned.


then we moved on to wax carving – this is a sprued wax wire model.


these are models using natural materials (the red wax was poured into a snow mould)


and these are the two pieces that I’ve cast in bronze using lost wax process and the centrifugal caster. Great fun. The piece on the left was wax into snow and the righthand piece is from a wax wire model.

Week 1ii



Following my brief, but great internships at Ebba Goring’s and Eileen Gatt’s workshops I did some milliput repair work on this original piece and I have had it cast in silver at Carter Cutts and then gold plated at PnA platers in Hatton Gardens. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. It is off to New Zealand as a present for my great niece Rose.

At Ebba’s the last week of August



Ebba Goring kindly let me spend a couple of days in her workshop helping out. The first picture shows some of her pretty silver pieces that I cut the sprues off and filed. I found the texture on the pieces made it quite hard to get the filing right – good practice though. The other photo shows a bit of her workshop with some of her work that had come back from Craft Scotland’s Edinburgh Fair and was heading out again – either for photographing or to other galleries. Thanks Ebba.