I constructed this ring from wax, the shank is inspired by tree roots, the more art nouveau flowing bit was created in the flask during casting as the silver found a weakness in the investment. It was a vacuum flask. I’m not sure about the patina, I may try a different one when I get back to the UK.
I carved this ring in wax earlier this semester and vacuum assist cast her last week. I don’t really like the bronze (but it’s available and a good challenge to pour), but I like the ring. If other people like it I may cast it in silver when I get home to the UK.
It’s part of the fairy tale collection (Little mermaid obvs) and can be stacked with other rings so you can tell the story with whichever ending you choose.
This is the silver ring casting that I cleaned up yesterday. It’s a wee hickory nutshell that has been well nibbled.
The shank I carved in wax, attached the shell, sprued it up (put wax channels for the metal to flow in), invested it (put in plaster in a flask, burnt it out (put in a kiln and the model burnt and the plaster heated) and then poured (melted the silver and poured it in) I used the vacuum flask, so the metal was pulled into the mould by vacuum. I then depleted the silver (heated it a few times to bring the copper to the surface and brushed it off) and generally filed and sanded it.
I finally got to do some raku enamel samples:-
A transparent hazel brown enamel and an opaque white, raku fired in leaves and sawdust.
A clear enamel raku fired and then a clear enamel fired on top.
A clear blue/green enamel raku fired (the leaves caught alight)
Transparent hazel brown with a patterning from flux on the copper.
The leaves and sawdust after these pieces were fired.