Lots of people came to the plant lore and jewellery making workshop at SSW today.
About 17 people came along
and worked hard
I demonstrated how to make some pieces
These two brooches were popular
and several variations of the aspen earring were made
This simple earring was one of my favourites
And this brooch had a lovely composition
We had plenty of local plant material to incorporate using mainly wire wrapping and threading techniques. We also shared some stories about plant use in Scotland and the local area.
If you are in Aberdeenshire on Feb 15th, pop in to SSW and make some jewellery
The sound mussel was part of my Hidden Landscape assessment for which I got an A (ahem)
The other piece was the story necklace which I have shown some early photos of and need to take some more as it is more complete now. The rowan berry and oxidized copper necklace is stored in the story pocket. The pocket is smocked and has small pockets for the mother of pearl button, the broken watch, the scissors and ribbon for attaching the pieces, the clay pipe piece, the broken china and the pressed porcelain. These pieces can be attached to the necklace depending on the story; and other pieces can be added.
The necklace is a story necklace, the design developed from my research into the gipsy traveller pearl fishers.
The chain is made from rods of dried rowan berries.
Pieces can be added to the chain, like this pearl button.
I will work some more on it next week. I have an intensive college project this week.
I decided to re etch the mokume gane disc as I was unhappy with the finish. This time I etched it deeper and revealed more of the silver solder which I then patinated. It has a better texture and is a jolly bright blue.
I took the pressed mussel shell shape and started repousse with it:-
I liked the pitch bowl that you fix it in as well:-
The large berry vessel is drying well and no longer has flies:-
The small vessel selection are on display for the college open day.
This week we tried cuttle fish casting, which smells terrible, but is good fun. I did some keys and an acorn
I threaded the stalks together, not really a vessel, but a pretty pre-vessel. It would be easier to take this forward with wire fusing:
I finished the silver scrap vessel, giving it a base, reticulating it more thoroughly and adding a smidge of silver solder:
I nearly finished the rowan berry large vessel. I used a different wiring process (which takes forever) and have identified that the larger ripe berries will not hold this large form. I look forward to seeing how it dries. I think this wiring technique with the berries could make an interesting cuff bracelet as it wouldn’t need to support itself in the same way as a vessel and the wiring could be interesting as the berries wither.
I tried different finishes on the mokume piece to accentuate the different metals. I think that polishing it may have removed too much of the copper, so I have oxidised the gilding metal by hand. I removed the silver solder smear to make the piece more organic and diamond burred the dimples on the back made by hammering over ball bearings. It has been an interesting piece and would like to take this combination of techniques further.
I also took photos of the granulation as a more decorative piece and liked this too.
To conclude PNC1 (college project) I have very much enjoyed trying different metal working techniques and the use of repetition; I respect what D Huycke has achieved with his work and have learnt more about what I like to do – which is more organic, less scientifically controlled and more feminine.
I finished the copper ring vessel, which is quite rough and ready, but I like the effect.
ring vessel in the evening sun
ring vessel base
I also tried some vessels where the granulation used is berries, as I wanted the colour and the organic, decomposition as a contrast to the more formal controlled appearance of Huycke’s work.
rowan berries and rose hip